When Jacqueline Montero takes her seat in Congress next month, she will bring not only an unusual past but an unconventional agenda for change in this socially conservative Caribbean country.
CHR Comment: This is a complex and sad story. The end of the article describes the role of Jacqueline’s beliefs, her denominational background, and Universidad Cristiana where she studied theology in the Dominican Republic.
Source: A former prostitute hopes to shake up Dominican Congress – The Washington Post
CHR Comment: The concern of the atheists, agnostics, and others who gather is the separation of church and state. They hold that reason and science should guide policy rather than religious ideology. A similar rally was held in 2012 with about 10,000 people attending.
The article also notes that 90% of congressmen identify themselves as Christians. Many of the other 10% are likely Jewish. Only one member of congress does not have a religious affiliation: Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.).
Source: What Happens When Thousands Of Atheists Get Together On The National Mall?
Message encouraged employees to ensure holiday party not “Christmas party in disguise.”
CHR Comment: Dolores Gresham, Mike Bell, and other congressional law makers expressed disappointment that Chancellor Cheek’s instructions about diversity on campus seemed to undermine the celebration of Christmas, a Christian holiday.
Source: Lawmakers want Tenn. university chief to resign after holiday post
A Turkish religious movement has secretly funded more than 200 trips to Turkey for members of Congress and staff since 2008, apparently repeatedly violating House rules and possibly federal law, a USA TODAY investigation has found.
CHR Comment: The Gulen Movement sponsors interfaith talks with Christian, Jews, and Muslim groups. Although the group is openly committed to peaceful relations, its secretive practices are undermining trust. I’ve added a second link below about their interfaith efforts.
Source: Turkish faith movement secretly funded 200 trips for lawmakers and staff